When homes have attic or basement space, they are often used to store possessions that are not used on a regular basis. Clothes of the opposite season, holiday decorations, family heirlooms, extra furniture, and so forth are commonplace in attic and/or basement spaces. Since it is hidden out of sight, it can easily become cluttered as these places are ideal for storage. Though using the attic or basement as a storage space is not necessarily a bad thing, allowing it to become a catch-all clutter area is not good because pests thrive in clutter. There are many pests attracted to the attic or basement because of the vast clutter it provides. With this in mind, we at Mickey’s Carting would like to share what pests you can expect to see and why clutter is causing pest infestations.
Why are Bugs & Pests Attracted to Clutter?
Pests are in search of a water, food source, and of course, shelter when they infiltrate into your home. Pests also looking for a place to hide even further to feel safe from predators, including you, even though these pests are entering your home for shelter. You better believe that pests will be looking to hide here when you have a space like the attic or basement that is infrequently entered yet filled with furniture, boxes, and an assortment of floating items. Possible roof leaks can provide moisture, and your personal belongings can be the food source, such as books, clothes, boxes, and more, in addition to your clutter providing pests with shelter.
What Kind of Pests Do Junk Hoarders Get?
Common pests you are likely going to discover in your attic or basement include the following:
– Rodents (Mice, Rats, Squirrels, Chipmunks, etc.)
– Pantry Pests
– Clothes Moths
– Bed Bugs
How Do I Keep My Attic & Basement Pest Free?
There are a few things you should do if you want to prevent pests from infesting your attic.
1) Discard Items You Do Not Need or Use. Possessions you do not need should not overcrowd your basement or attic. Donate or throw away what you will never use again as you go through everything in your attic and/or basement. You may want to consider renting a dumpster to allow for the easiest cleanup possible if your attic or basement is overwhelmingly cluttered.
2) Avoid Storing Cardboard. Cardboard boxes are cheap way to store items. Unfortunately, many pests are attracted to carboard and can easily infiltrate them. As a result, your items can be destroyed with their eating and nesting habits. Store all items in plastic containers that have lids that will seal shut instead.
3) Avoid Floor Clutter. The definition of clutter is crowding your attic floor with items and containers. Place these on shelves against the wall after all of your personal belongings are stored in plastic containers. You reduce the shelter options the pests have.
4) Repair and Seal Cracks & Holes. A leaky roof or cracks and holes in the foundation or walls gives pests the opportunity to let pests in. If necessary, have a roofer repair the roof and a contractor path holes and cracks.
Dumpster Container Rental, Waste Management & More in Amagansett, Aquebogue, Baiting Hollow, Calverton, Cutchogue, East Hampton, East Hampton North, Greenport, Jamesport, Laurel, Mattituck, Montauk, Nassau Point, Northville, Northwest Harbor, Riverhead, Shelter Island, Southold, Springs, Wading River, Westhampton Beach in East End of Long Island, New York
Make sure you’re prepared beforehand when you decide to clean and clear your attic or basement out. You can have us come for junk removal services and Mickey’s Carting can provide a number of dumpster size rentals too.